Friday, September 30, 2011

Unprocessed Menu Plan

I spent a good amount of time thinking about the changes I would need to make in order to avoid all processed foods during the next week (I'm starting October 2nd, in case you are keeping track).  Looks like I won't be able to finish the bag of Newman's Ginger Os that I just bought.  Bummer.  That Costco-sized bag of Pirates Booty?  Hands-off.  No refined sugars and flour?  Difficult, but I guess I can manage.  

Just so we're all on the same page, I'm following EatingRules's definition of "processed".  Unprocessed food is any food that could be made by a person with reasonable skill in a home kitchen with readily available, whole-food ingredients.  Basically, if I could make it at home, then it counts.  If it contains unpronounceable ingredients that I've never heard of, I'd best avoid it... at least this week.  

This one-week pledge really made me think about the things I eat, and I know there is room to improve.  I decided to put together a meal plan for the week, otherwise there is only a very small chance that I'll actually follow through on this.  If I have an actual plan, then I can shop for the right ingredients and avoid the it's-five-o'clock-and-I'm-starving-and-have-no-food-worth-eating panic that usually results in ordering take-out.

Here goes!

Breakfasts: 
steel cut oatmeal with fresh berries and maple syrup, eggs, whole grain toast, baked oatmeal

Lunches: 
leftovers, Quinoa and spinach salad, tuna salad

Snacks: 
hummus/red pepper dip, veggies, fruit, kale chips, homemade granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, smoothies

Dinners -
Sunday: 
Taco Salad with Red-pepper dressing (Blissful Bites)
Frijoles Rancheros (Simple Bites)

Monday: 
Coconut Curry Green Lentil Soup (Simple Bites)

Tuesday:
Apple and Bacon Frittata (Simple Bites/Whole Family Cookbook)

Wednesday:
Lentil Shepherd's Pie (Simple Bites)

Thursday:
Crockpot French Onion Soup (How Sweet it Is)

Friday:
Pineapple fried rice (Blissful Bites)

Saturday:
Potato and Bean Enchilada Bake (All Recipes)

Time to make my shopping list - my grocery cart is going to be packed with all of this delicious food!

No comments:

Post a Comment